Decision 4 (52) on Rwanda : Rwanda. 20/03/98.
Convention Abbreviation: CERD
COMMITTEE ON THE ELIMINATION OF RACIAL DISCRIMINATION
2-20 March 1998
Decision 4 (52) on Rwanda
1. The Committee, at its forty-ninth session, having received a delegation from the State party, invited the Government of Rwanda to submit a report for consideration at the Committee's fifty-first session (A/52/18, para. 372).
2. No report having been received, the Committee scheduled consideration of the implementation of the Convention in Rwanda for consideration at its fiftysecond session under the procedure for the prevention of racial discrimination.
3. The Committee discussed the current situation at its 1263rd meeting. It regretted that the State party had not accepted its invitation to attend and furnish up-to-date information.
4. The Committee recalled its 1996 declaration on the situation in Rwanda (A/51/18, para. 30) and its dialogue with the delegation the following year. It noted that the climate of impunity persisting in some areas and the lengthy detention of accused persons under deplorable conditions did not assist the processes of ethnic reconciliation. The Committee expressed concern over the slowness of the process of rebuilding civil institutions, especially those of an independent judiciary, and about action to combat ethnic prejudice in accordance with article 7 of the Convention, and called on the international community to give increased assistance to those affected.
5. The Committee expressed alarm at reports that a new round of genocidal violence has commenced.
6. The Committee decides to reschedule this agenda item for its fiftythird session and earnestly hopes that the State party will accept its invitation to attend and engage in a dialogue with the Committee.
20 March 1998