Decision 2 (52) on Papua New Guinea : Papua New Guinea. 19/03/98.
Convention Abbreviation: CERD
COMMITTEE ON THE ELIMINATION OF RACIAL DISCRIMINATION
2-20 March 1998
Decision 2 (52) on Papua New Guinea
1. At its 1249th meeting on 4 March 1998 (see CERD/C/SR.1249), the Committee reviewed again the implementation of the Convention by Papua New Guinea, under the agenda item on prevention of racial discrimination.
2. Despite the Committee's repeated requests, Papua New Guinea has not resumed its dialogue with the Committee. It has submitted neither its periodic report nor the additional information requested about the situation in Bougainville.
3. The Committee has not been informed of whether there have been any further contacts between the State party and the representative of the SecretaryGeneral.
4. The Committee reiterates its decision 4 (51) of 21 August 1997 on Papua New Guinea.
5. The Committee once again requests the State party to submit its report under article 9, paragraph 1, of the Convention, as well as to supply information specifically on the situation in Bougainville.
6. The Committee once again invites the State party to avail itself of the technical assistance offered under the advisory services and technical assistance programme of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights with a view to drawing up and submitting its report and specific information.
7. The Committee decides that, in the absence of any indication on the part of the State party that it will comply with its obligation under article 9, paragraph 1, of the Convention, it will consider implementation of the Convention in Papua New Guinea at its 53rd session in August 1998, under its prevention of discrimination procedure.
19 March 1998