Decision 1 (52) on the Democratic Republic of the Congo : Democratic Republic
of the Congo. 19/03/98.
Convention Abbreviation: CERD
COMMITTEE ON THE ELIMINATION
OF RACIAL DISCRIMINATION
2-20 March 1998
Decision 1 (52) on the Democratic Republic of the Congo
1. In its decision 3 (51) the Committee expressed its alarm over reports of massacres and other grave human rights violations, including violation of the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination, in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
2. The Committee discussed the current situation at its 1233rd meeting. It regretted that the State party had not accepted its invitation to attend and furnish up-to-date information.
3. The Committee emphasizes the importance of continuing with United Nations investigations into these reports in order to identify the persons responsible for violations, particularly those associated with ethnic differences, and to hold them accountable.
4. The Committee recommends the extension of the mandate of the International Criminal Tribunal in Arusha to include jurisdiction over war crimes and crimes against humanity committed during the war in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
5. The Committee recommends that, as a priority, the Government be assisted in creating an independent Congolese judiciary.
6. The Committee requests that copies of this decision be transmitted to relevant United Nations bodies and agencies and to the Organization of African Unity.
19 March 1998