CONSIDERATION OF REPORTS
SUBMITTED BY STATES PARTIES UNDER ARTICLE 19 OF THE CONVENTION
Third periodic reports due in 1996
[19 June 1996]
* For the initial report of Ukraine, see CAT/C/5/Add.20; for its
consideration, see CAT/C/SR.52 and 53 and Official Records
of the General Assembly, forty-fifth session, Supplement No. 44
(A/45/44) paras. 503-532. For the second periodic report, see
CAT/C/17/Add.4; for its consideration, see CAT/C/SR.125 and Add.2
and Official Records of the General Assembly, forty-eighth
session, Supplement No. 44 (A/48/44), paras. 116-132.
1. This report is submitted pursuant to article 19, paragraph
1, of the Convention, which entered into force in Ukraine on 24
2. It has been compiled in accordance with the general guidelines
regarding the form and content of reports to be submitted by States
Parties under article 19, paragraph 1, of the Convention.
3. It covers the period from 1992 to 1996.
4. It was prepared as a collaborative effort by the Ukrainian
Ministry of Justice, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Ministry
of Internal Affairs, the Office of the Public Prosecutor, the
Security Service and the Supreme Court.
5. Since the submission of its second periodic report in 1992,
Ukraine has followed an unswerving policy of advancing the interests
of the individual over those of society and of according primacy
to international law, as reflected in the new draft Ukrainian
constitution. On 22 December 1993 the Supreme Council of Ukraine
passed the Act on Ukraine's International Treaties, article 17
of which reads: