43/90 Union des Scolaires Nigériens-Union Générale des Etudiants Nigériens au Bénin vs. Niger
Communication on alleged denial of right to life, etc. dated February 14, 1990.
1. The African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights, established under Article 30 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights;
2. Meeting at its Fifteenth Ordinary Session held in Banjul, The Gambia, from 18 to 27 April 1994;
3. By petition dated 14/2/90 registered at the Secretariat of the Commission under No. 43/90, the Union des Scolaires Nigériens and Union Générale des Etudiants Nigériens au Benin wrote to the Commission to denounce human rights violations allegedly committed by the State of Niger during the events of 09/02/90 in that country, pursuant to the provisions of Article 55 of the Charter;
4. Considering that the communication had been brought to the knowledge of the State of Niger vide letters of 6/11/90 and 12/08/93, pursuant to Article 57 of the Charter;
5. Considering that since the matter was referred to the Commission, no additional information has been received by the Secretariat, in spite of several reminders;
6. Considering that the 4-month deadline given to the parties at the Fourteenth Session of the Commission held in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, in December 1993, has expired;
7. Considering that none of the conditions relating to form, time limit or procedure laid down under Article 56 of the Charter and Rule 114 of the Rules of Procedure has been complied with;
8. Considering that the communication is therefore inadmissible;
Declares to declare the communication of the Union des Scolaires Nigériens et l’Union des Etudiants Nigériens au Bénin against the State of Niger inadmissible pursuant to Article 56 of the Charter and Rule 114 of the Rules of Procedure.