The Commission on Human Rights,
Having considered the proposal for the restructuring of the agenda submitted by the Chairman of the Commission at its fifty&SHY;fourth session (E/CN.4/1998/L.106),
Decides to adopt the proposal, as contained in the annex to
24 April 1998
[Adopted without a vote. See chap. XXV.]
1. Election of officers.
2. Adoption of the agenda.
3. Organization of the work of the session.
4. Report of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights and follow-up to the World Conference on Human Rights.
5. The right of peoples to self-determination and its application to peoples under colonial or alien domination or foreign occupation.
6. Racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and all forms of discrimination.
7. The right to development.
8. Question of the violation of human rights in the occupied Arab territories, including Palestine.
9. Question of the violation of human rights and fundamental freedoms in any part of the world, including:
(a) Question of human rights in Cyprus;
(b) Procedure established in accordance with Economic and Social Council resolution 1503 (XLVIII).
10. Economic, social and cultural rights.
11. Civil and political rights, including questions of:
(a) Torture and detention;
(b) Disappearances and summary executions;
(c) Freedom of expression;
(d) Independence of the judiciary, administration of justice, impunity;
(e) Religious intolerance;
(f) States of emergency;
(g) Conscientious objection to military service.
12. Integration of the human rights of women and a gender perspective:
(a) Violence against women.
13. Rights of the child.
14. Specific groups and individuals:
(a) Migrant workers;
(c) Mass exoduses and displaced persons;
(d) Other vulnerable groups and individuals.
15. Indigenous issues.
16. Report of the Sub-Commission on Prevention of Discrimination and Protection of Minorities:
(a) Report and draft decisions;
(b) Election of members.
17. Promotion and protection of human rights:
(a) Status of the International Covenants on Human Rights;
(b) Human rights defenders;
(c) Information and education;
(d) Science and environment.
18. Effective functioning of human rights mechanisms:
(a) Treaty bodies;
(b) National institutions and regional arrangements;
(c) Adaptation and strengthening of the United Nations machinery for human rights.
19. Advisory services and technical cooperation in the field of human rights.
20. Rationalization of the work of the Commission.
21. (a) Draft provisional agenda for the ... session of the Commission;
(b) Report to the Economic and Social Council on the ... session
of the Commission.