Requesting a Sponsored
Sponsored Internet/X.500 Accounts must be created for any College or
Department wishing to obtain a departmental or functional PeopleSoft
ID, per University Policies 2.8.2
User Authentication for Access to University Computer Resources
Processing Internal Accounting Transactions.
Sponsored Internet Accounts can be requested online by any University
staff person. The Email Accounts Office generally processes requests
in 1-2 days. The person requesting the creation of the account will
be notified of its creation, settings, and Internet password via email.
- Go to http://www.umn.edu/dirtools/sponsor.
At the Internet Login screen, enter your Internet ID and password.
- A web page titled 'Departmentally Sponsored E-mail Accounts' will
open. There are a few paragraphs of explanation, including fees to
be charged, followed by the 'Application Form.'
- The person who has logged on to this web site will have his or
her name and phone number filled in the first two fields of the form.
This person would be considered the 'sponsor,' and any questions the
Email Accounts Office would have about this account would be directed
to him or her. The 'sponsor' will be the only person allowed to request
password changes for the sponsored account (unless otherwise specified
in the 'Comments' field) from 1-HELP or the Email Accounts Office.
- Fill in the Department Name and Department Head information.
- Under the 'Sponsored Account Information' heading, fill in the
First and Last Name of your intended account as if it were a person.
For example, if your account will be called 'Grad School Functional
ID,' fill in Grad School as the First Name, and Functional ID as the
Last Name. Note: The name fields do not support the use of numbers
i.e. Functional ID 2. If you are creating multiple IDs we recommend
the use of Roman numerals to differentiate i.e. Functional ID II.
- In the Social Security Number field, fill in 999-99-9999.
- In the Job Title field, leave the default setting at 9009 - Non-Univ
- Fill in a Campus and Home Address, as both are required. These
could both be the same, the only difference being that the Home Address
requires a Street Address.
- At the three 'Suppress' checkbox options, be sure to leave the
'Suppress entire directory listing from online and print directories'
box unchecked. OIT Data Security needs to be able to verify
that your Sponsored X.500 Account exists.
- At the three email account options, leave the default set: 'Client/server
only e-mail account.' Neither of the other two options allows you
to have an Enterprise password associated with your Sponsored X.500
- Enter the CUFS Account Number to be charged the fees as explained.
- At the 'Expiration date' field, check the 'No Expiration' box (unless
you wish the account to expire at some point, which would stop the
charges to your Department, as well as disallow your associated PeopleSoft
ID from logging in).
- There are several things to include in the 'Comments' field.
If you will not be
using this account to send and receive email, type in 'remove mailbox.'
If you wish the actual
ID to be something of your choosing, please include it here. Otherwise,
the ID will be automatically generated using the University standard
of the first 5 letters of the last name followed by three numbers.
Using the Grad School Functional ID example, if I wanted the ID to
be gradsch (as opposed to funct010), I would make that request
If you wish others
in your office (i.e. your backup) to be able to request password changes
for this ID, include their name(s) here.
- When finished, submit your request. A page will return asking you
to verify/edit the information you entered, and then you can submit
the information for the creation of the account.
- As mentioned above, the Sponsor will be notified via email when
the account is created. Keep the email for future reference.
- As for any staff needing access to PeopleSoft, fill out and submit
the Access Request Form (http://www/umn.edu/datasec/security/Requestingaccess)for
this ID to have access to PeopleSoft. Whoever is to be responsible
for the use of the ID should fill in all fields on page 1 as the 'Requester,'
including Name, CUFS account number, phone number, EMPL ID and Signature.
Instead of the Requester's own Internet ID, fill in your Sponsored
Internet Account in the Internet ID field. A complete Statement of
Business Need,Supervisor and Key Contact signatures are also required.